https://organictuscany.org/recipes/wp-content/uploads/pizzaebraica-6.jpg 300 540 Riccardo https://organictuscany.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/organictuscanylogo3-300x200.png Riccardo2017-01-16 20:09:142022-04-23 12:06:32Pizza ebraica – Jewish sweet “pizza”Print
Pizza ebraica: Jewish sweet “pizza”
This delectable item is not pizza at all, but an unleavened pastry crammed full of whole almonds and candied fruit and cooked until it looks rather burnt but is in fact absolutely perfect, with the nuts crunchy and fruits bursting with flavour.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 30
- 1 cup marsala wine (or sherry)
- 2?3 cup raisins
- 4 cups (450g) flour
- 3?4 cup (170g) cup sugar
- 12 tbsp (200g) unsalted butter, ?softened
- Good pinch of salt
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup (50g) whole almonds
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup (50g) ground almonds
- 1 cup roughly chopped candied citron, cherries and other candied fruit
- Preheat your oven to 475ºF/240ºC.
- Put the raisins to soak in the marsala/sherry. Leave them at least 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, sugar and softened butter, until everything is uniform.
- Add the 1/2 cup (50g) of almond flour, then the beaten egg. Combine well.
- Add the wine and raisins, candied fruit and whole almonds. Mix well to combine.
- Spread onto parchment paper on a baking sheet, an inch think.
- Cook for 25 minutes, until crisp outside but still soft inside.
- Leave to cool a little, then cut into strips (large cantuccini size).