https://organictuscany.org/recipes/wp-content/uploads/serenella_sponge.png 550 522 Riccardo https://organictuscany.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/organictuscanylogo3-300x200.png Riccardo2017-06-19 22:35:482022-04-23 12:06:36Hazelnut sponge cake with raspberries and fresh cream
Hazelnut sponge cake with raspberries
A deliciously light, fluffy, nutty cake!
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 generous portions
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
For the cake:
- 7 medium eggs, separated
- 150 g (1 cup) hazelnuts, toasted and ground medium
- 220 g (just over 1 cup) cane sugar, ground to caster sugar consistency
- 60 g (half cup) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt, butter and parchment paper
To fill and decorate:
- 250 ml (1 cup) fresh cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered (icing) sugar
- 250 g (2 cups) raspberries
- 4 tablespoons strawberry or raspberry jam
- Small meringues (optional)
- Extra cream, raspberries and meringues to decorate lavishly (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (345° F) if fan-assisted or 180°C (355°F) if not.
- Cover the bottoms of two 24 cm (9 inch) spring-form cake tins with parchment paper. Butter the sides of the tins.
- Cream together the sugar with the egg yolks.
- Add the sifted flour, baking powder and ground hazelnuts.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites into the mixture carefully.
- Divide between the two cake tins and bake for 15 minutes.
- When the sponges are cooked, allow to cool.
- Once cool, place on a work surface next to one another.
- Add some warm water to the jam to loosen it up and brush onto the inside of each cake with a brush.
- Whip the cream with the powdered sugar, add raspberries and coarsely broken up meringue (optional).
- Place on one of the sponges and put the other sponge on top.
- If you like, you can now decorate the cake with more lightly whipped cream, raspberries and meringues.