Creamy celery in tomato sauce
This is an original and tasty dish, ideal for using up leftover celery (those heads are always a little large to use up in one go…) It tends to come out creamier using spelt flour to coat, but wheat flour is fine too.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6
- 1 large head of celery
- 250 g (1/2 pound) of cherry tomatoes
- Vegetable stock
- Spelt or wheat flour for coating (1 cup approx.)
- Wash and trim the celery (keeping the wider end and discarding the smaller mini-stalks).
- Peel the strings from the celery with a peeler (not too much!)
- Cut into 5 inch pieces.
- Toss in spelt (or wheat) four to coat.
- Shake off excess flour and fry until golden on both sides (careful not to tun until the first side is nice and golden).
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook down until the tomoato sauce coats the celery (10 minutes).
- Add a little vegetable stock (to barely cover) and cook down further (15 minutes) until the celery is tender.
- Serve warm or cold.
For a protein-rich one-dish meal, add seitan pieces at the end (when you add the stock).