0 0 Riccardo https://organictuscany.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/organictuscanylogo3-300x200.png Riccardo2010-01-02 16:35:072022-04-23 12:06:10Cardoons in a tomato saucePrint
Cardoons in a tomato sauce
Cardoon grows everywhere and is from the same family as the artichoke and as well as being nutritious (plenty of potassium, calcium and iron) is incredibly tasty.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 1 kg (2 lb) cardoons
- 4 cloves garlic
- 300 g (10 oz) ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- String the cardoons as you would celery.
- Cut into 2 cm (1 inch) pieces and leave in a bowl with water and lemon juice.
- Boil until tender in plenty of salted, boiling water with a quartered lemon.
- Cooking time will vary, but will be around 2 hours. Drain.
- Stir fry the garlic (whole) in a good swoosh of olive oil.
- Add the tomato. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the drained cardoons and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Dress with raw olive oil at the table.
A pressure cooker will reduce cooking time to 25 minutes.