Aubergine (Eggplant) Crostini
Crostini are little appetizers that you can invent yourself depending on what’s in season and what ingredients you happen to have around. It is easy to cook eggplant in too much oil, since it is something of an oil sponge… this recipe seals the eggplant before oil is added so that you use less oil.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6
- One small eggplant (aubergine)
- Garlic, 2 peeled cloves, whole
- Fresh oregano, thyme or parsley (or all), chopped finely, half a a teaspoonful (in Tuscany we use a minty oregano herb called nipitella)
- Toasted bread, thinly sliced (15 small – baguette sized – pieces)
- Cut the eggplant into half-inch cubes.
- Heat a non-stick pan with no oil. Stir-fry the eggplant cubes until they have a golden crust all over them (5 minutes).
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add 2 whole cloves of peeled garlic. Continue to stir-fry until the eggplant is soft (5 minutes).
- Add the herbs and stir through. Remove the garlic before topping the toasted bread.